A number one UK university
We are a specialist postgraduate university with world-class, large-scale facilities and a staff-to-student ratio that is one of the best for any university in the UK. Our global success is reflected in our rankings and awards:
- We are ranked number one in the UK for aerospace engineering (more than five times as many master's students in the UK study at Cranfield each year than at the university in second place), HESA 2016/17.
- We are number one in production and manufacturing engineering (28% of the 90 graduates in the UK studied at Cranfield), HESA 2016/17.
- We're number one in the UK for transport and automotive postgraduates (with over twice as many students as the university in second place), HESA 2016/17.
- UK top 10 for commercial research, consultancy and professional development, HESA 2016/17.
Cranfield ranks 5th in the UK for mechanical, aeronautical and manufacturing engineering in the QS World University Rankings 2019.
The Times Higher Education World Rankings, The Times World Rankings, The Complete University Guide and The Guardian, which focus on helping prospective undergraduate students to compare universities, don't list Cranfield University as we are postgraduate only.
Our research is industry-relevant and informed by our close links to business:
- 81% of the research at Cranfield is classed as world-leading or internationally excellent, Research Excellence Framework 2014. This score informs the allocation of research funding from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE). Read more about our research.
- We are ranked number one in the UK for research income per academic by The Times Higher Education 2017.
- The nano membrane toilet was named by the Financial Times as one of the ’50 ideas to change the world’ in 2017. Read more about our latest research in New Perspectives.
- We're number one in aerospace engineering PhDs (22% of all aerospace engineering research degrees of the 140 graduating in the UK), HESA2016/17.
Cranfield School of Management rankings
Cranfield School of Management consistently ranks highly for its MBAs, management qualifications and executive education:
- 1st in the UK and 7th in the world in The Economist's 'Which MBA? Masters in Management (MiM)' 2017 ranking.
- In the Financial Times Executive Education rankings 2018, we are ranked among the top 15 business schools in Europe and one of the top 5 in the UK for both open and customised executive development programmes. We are in the top 10 in the world for the international reach of our customised programmes.
- 3rd in the UK and 10th in the world (outside the US) in Forbes' ranking of 'The Best International MBAS: One-Year Programs' 2017.
- 1st outside the US and 11th globally in the Supply Chain Management World 'University 100' annual survey 2016.
HR Excellence in Research
The University was awarded the prestigious European award for HR Excellence in Research in June 2015.
Five-time winner of the Queen's Anniversary Prize
The high-quality and distinctive nature of our work has been recognised through numerous prizes and awards, including the award of the prestigious Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Further and Higher Education on five separate occasions, for our:
- Research and education in large-scale soil and environmental data for the sustainable use of natural resources, 2017.
- Education and research into safe water and sanitation for the world's poorest communities, 2015.
- World-leading work in aviation safety through research and training in air accident investigation, 2011.
- Role in humanitarian demining, 2007.
- Fellowship in Manufacturing Management, 2005.
Above all, Cranfield is about its people. I am really proud of the impact our collective efforts have locally, nationally and internationally and the wide range of students and organisations that benefit from our work.Philip Aspinall, Chief Operating Officer